Developed in the hills and valleys of the Himalayas, Ayurveda is one of the oldest medicinal sciences of the world. The philosophy behind Ayurveda is based on healing a person through maintaining the balance between the three elements of life, mind, body and soul. Diagnosis of diseases in Ayurveda is done considering three energy centers; Vata, Pitta and Kapha which are nerve energy, catabolic fire energy, and anabolic nutritive energy. The ancient medical practice claims to strike a balance between these three energy centers.
Ayurvedic drugs are not made from salts and chemicals, as this science was developed in the valleys of Himalayas. Ancient hermits studied the effects of herbs and other natural elements on human body and psyche for centuries and came out with this wonderful art of treatment. So, there are no side effects of Ayurvedic medicines. That is the reason that Ayurvedic drugs and therapies like massages and meditation are gaining prominence all over the world. Ayurveda claims to find the treatment of some rare and fatal diseases too.
Current Scenario of Ayurveda Courses in India Surprisingly, there are enormous job opportunities in the field of Ayurveda not only in India but overseas too. At prominent government and private Ayurvedic hospitals, candidates with degree in Ayurveda are employed as medical officers and consultants. Nowadays private practice is also prevalent. You can also open your Ayurvedic massage/healing massage centers for a decent livelihood. You can also start your own business of Ayurvedic medicines and find jobs at companies preparing these medicines.
Research associates are also in huge demand these days and so are other academic jobs; for that you can apply at institutions and colleges offering Ayurvedic courses for the post of professors and lecturers. You can enter into Ayurvedic pharmacy business and procure a drug manufacturing license after getting an experience of 2-3 years with drug manufacturing companies. MNCs offer vacancies for research based jobs and you can work as a scientist there, working for highly sophisticated laboratories. This calls for at least three years experience in pharmacy.
Major Ayurveda Entrance Exams in India There are lots of Ayurvedic colleges in India, which offer the B.A.M.S. (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery) degree courses. These bachelor courses are of five to six years duration. The eligibility for these courses is a 10+2 pass with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Sanskrit (preferred but not essential).
Apart from the state and university level entrance tests, the main exam conducted on national level to get into these courses is 'All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Exam' conducted by Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE), Delhi. After the completion of bachelor level course, you can opt for PG courses, leading to an MD or MS degree in Ayurveda. These PG courses are also open for the people who have completed their MBBS programs without Ayurvedic stream.The top Ayurvedic colleges in India are as follows:
- Dr. B R K R government Ayurvedic college, Hyderabad?
- Gujarat Ayurvedic university, Gujarat
- Ayurvedic medical college, Kolhapur
- JB Roy State Medical College, Kolkata
- Sri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic college, Chandigarh
- Shri Ayurveda Mahavidhyalaya, Nagpur
- Rishikul State Ayurvedic college, Pilibhit
- State Ayurvedic College, Hardwar
- Government Ashtang Ayurveda college, Indore
- Berhampur University, Berhampur
- Ayurvedic Mahavidyalaya, Mumbai
- Dayanand Ayurvedic College, Jalandhar
- Ayurvedic and Unani Tibia college, New Delhi
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore
- Lucknow University, Lucknow
- NTR university of Health Sciences, Vijayawada
- Rajiv Gandhi Government Ayurvedic College, Kangra
- Bharati Vidhyapeeth, Pune
- Chatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University, Kanpur
- National Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur
- Government Ayurvedic College, Nagpur
- Sri Krishna Government Ayurvedic College, Kurukshetra
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Muzaffarpur
- Government Ayurvedic College, Raipur
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Government Ayurvedic Mahavidyalaya, Handia