Physiotherapy is one of the most ancient sciences that helps restore functional movements of our body. Impairment of body due to accidents, impacts or diseases like polio require a physiotherapist to have an extensive knowledge of different functions and anatomy of human body. In fact, it is such a vast discipline that we have separate specialization in the field of pediatrics, orthopedics, and sports physical therapy. These courses are now in high demand. The practice of physiotherapy is very old and has been prevalent from around 450 BC. Current Scenario of Physiotherapy in India Physiotherapy can also be taken as a parallel course with popular courses like BDS and MBBS. There are various therapies which are practiced and taught as part of the wider physiotherapy curriculum such as manual therapies, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, ultrasound technology, electrical muscle stimulation, manipulation and acupuncture etc.
Employment opportunities in this discipline are enormous. Apart from regular hospitals and private practice, one can find a job in the rehabilitation facilities, municipal bodies, orthopedic sections of the hospitals, academic institutions for the mentally and physically challenged children, sports academies & sports clubs and military hospitals. Physiotherapy entrance exams in India The normal fee charged for the course is between Rs. 30,000 to 80,000 and normal duration is one year. The two major exams to get into BPT courses are:
- Common Entrance Test (CET)
- All India Medical Entrance Examination (AIMEE)
The eligibility to appear in these bachelor courses are 10+2 with PCB with at least 50% aggregate marks. Following 10+2+4 system, A.J. Institute of Medical Sciences offers a 4 year BPT course that requires a minimum of 45% marks in 10+2 exams.Top Physiotherapy colleges in India
- Apollo College of Physiotherapy, Hyderabad.
- Indian Institute of Health Education & Research Health, Patna, Bihar.
- Post Graduate Institute, Chandigarh, Punjab.
- School of Physiotherapy, S. S. G. Hospital, Vadodara, Gujarat.
- Padamshree Institute of Physiotherapy, Bangalore.
- Allahabad Agriculture Institute, Rewa Raod, Allahabad.
- Amity School of Physiotherapy, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi. (administrative office at NOIDA)
- Annamalai University, Chidambaram TN.
- Apollo College of Physiotherapy, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad
- Banarasi Das Chandiwala Institute of Physiotherapy, Kalkaji, New Delhi